I've been experimenting with Infrared (IR) photography for a while, and for around a year used a converted Fuji XE-1. As a Fuji user, it made sense to use a second Fuji body and make use of my existing lenses (even though the options were limited due to fairly bad hot spots).
Fast forward a year, and I sold my XE-1, with the intention of converting an XT-1 - an IR upgrade if you will. However, over the course of the last 12 months, I'm using film more and more, in particular my Hassy 500CM. Therefore, I started to do some investigating into IR Film. I'd always assumed it would be very difficult to do, but after a bit of research I was surprised to read it might not be as hard as I first thought. So I purchased a few rolls of 120 Rollei IR400, with the intention of developing at home.
IR film is more sensitive to light so has to be loaded in the dark or using a changing bag (I was quite surprised I loaded a hassy back in a changing bag tbh). I also needed a filter too. After a bit of bodging with some electrical tape, a Hoya R72 filter and a lee filter HB60 adaptor ring, I was all set to go.
When using the filter, I was exposing for ISO25, and worked out the correct exposure as I normally would when working with Black and White films. The only difference to normal was focussing. IR light focuses at a slightly different point, and therefore requires a slight shift in focus. Thankfully, the Hasselblad lenses have a mark for focusing when using IR. It's simply a case of focusing the shot as normal (without the filter) and the shifting the focus point in line with the IR marker, then put the filter on before taking a shot.
As it was the first time I'd used the film, I decided to bracket all of the shots +/- a stop, just to see what worked best for future reference.
I developed the film using a 1:25 Rodinal solution, using the following timings.
4 min pre-wash with water @ 20 degrees
7.5 with Rodinal solution @ 20 degrees (agitate for 1st minute, then 10 seconds every minute)
Stop Solution for 1 min @ 20 degrees
Fix Solution for 5 mins @ 20 degrees
Final Wash for 15 mins @ 20 degrees
After the negatives had dried, they were scanned using an Epson V600 scanner and Silverfast software (if anyone has any good tips for scanning, I'm all ears - it's an art form in its own right!)
Overall, I was really pleased with the relative ease of use, and the final results. Equally comparable, if not better to my previous converted IR camera. I'm looking forward to using it more throughout the spring and summer months. Anyway, if you've lasted this long, thank you. Here are the final, processed four images from the roll. I hope you like them.